Today is my birthday!!!! Looks like my wife has a lot planned for me today. I have a feeling it’s going to be a day filled with fun activities and great food. I think after 34 years on this planet and 17 years of working out hard and trying to eat clean, I deserve a day of indulgence. However, tomorrow, I’ll be back on my eating and training regimen. When I do, I’m going to do this awesome recipe from my friends at CivilizedCavemanCooking.com! This combines two of my favorite ingredients – Pork Sausage & Duck Fat!!! Yummmmmmmmm….
This is a perfect recipe for those summer bbq’s or just to enjoy the most amazing breakfast you’ve ever had in your entire friggin’ life! Bon Appétit!
- 1 pound pork sausages, 4-5 links normally (455 grams)
- 1 large onion, sliced (300 grams)
- -2 bell peppers, sliced (450 grams)
- 1 apple, sliced (200 grams)
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed and sliced (45 grams)
- 3 tablespoons duck fat, melted (or bacon fat, olive oil, coconut oil)
- juice of 1 lemon
- dried thyme to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 Celsius).
- If you have not already done so, peel and slice your onions, remove the seeds from your bell peppers and slice, core and slice your apple, and remove the seeds from your jalapeno and then slice it.
- Place your onions, peppers, apples, and jalapeños in a 12 inch cast iron skillet or large baking dish.
- Add your duck fat and lemon juice and mix well ensuring an even coating.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your taste liking.
- Take your sausages and place them on your bed of vegetables.
- Using a sharp knife, poke 5-10 holes around each sausage so they don’t explode in your oven.
- If you have a leave in meat thermometer, now is the time to insert it into one of your sausages.
- Cover your pan or dish with aluminum foil and place in your preheated oven.
- After 25 minutes remove the foil to allow the sausages to brown until they are finished.
- I used a meat thermometer and mine took 35 minutes to finish to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (73 Celsius).
- Remove from the oven when done and sprinkle with dried or fresh thyme and serve.