Buffalo Chicken Casserole (serves 4-6)
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2½ pounds)
- 4 tablespoon butter, ghee or coconut oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup hot sauce
- ¼ cup Mayo (can use this recipe: wellnessmama.com/1739/healthy-mayonnaise/)
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- chopped scallions for garnish
- sliced avocados, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place the squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the skin gives when you press your finger to it. Remove the squash from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Grease a Dutch oven or 8-inch square glass dish with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Let the squash cool for 5 minutes, remove the seeds and then use a fork the remove the threads and place them into the greased baking dish.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. – Add the garlic, carrot, celery, onion and bell pepper and cook for about 10 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add ground chicken, garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook, using a spatula to break up the chicken into small pieces, until chicken is no longer pink, (8 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat, then, add hot sauce and mayo and mix to combine.
- Add the chicken mixture to the baking dish and mix well with the spaghetti squash threads. Add the whisked eggs and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the top forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press it in the middle. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped scallion and avocado slices.